MMV must provide detailed technical support to offline vessels.
Once a vessel has offline capability , the vessel may work either online with internet access or offline over the vessels Local Area Network (LAN)
The very nature of offline installations means that MMV must now be involved in external factors such as the vessels computers, network access, bandwidth, conflicting software and so forth.
Vessels Crew simply want the system to work no matter whether they are online or offline.
What’s often not realized is that MMV can only control the online cloud version of our software as this software and data are stored directly on our servers and are located in controlled IT centers.
Offline installations must be installed on a server within the vessels network. This has many inherent challenges for MMV and the Management Company
- We do not control the hardware and often changes are made to the hardware without our knowledge or involvement which may alter the hardware or software setup and may cause the system to fail in some way
- We do not maintain the software and operating system so we do not know when and if updates and patches are being applied correctly to these systems. We have no control of memory or space issues on the machines local hard drive
- We have no control over the vessels bandwidth and network. If a vessels own LAN is not working or has issues , this will affect the ability of users to access MMV offline onboard the vessel.
MMV attempts to minimize the chance of failure or issues onboard the vessel by implementing the following rules:
- Offline version must be installed on a dedicated PC with NO other systems or software running. A virtual machine with minimum system requirements is also acceptable - See Minimum System Requirements
- MMV must retain remote access to all offline installations via MMV LogMeIn Client only and by a vessel granting permission to Install the offline application they will also grant perpetual permission to allow MMV to log into the vessels dedicated marine for support updates and issues.
- The dedicated machine must remain online at all times and cannot be shut down or disconnected from the vessels LAN and Internet connection for any reason.
- Vessel must have a qualified IT person to ensure the PC is installed on the Vessels network successfully and maintained together with any other hardware onboard. MMV will not install software remotely without a qualified onboard technicians verification of the above requirements